PDA

View Full Version : CEL light came on..o2 sensor(s)?

blind34_1
12-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Last night the check engine light came on, but there were no unusual sounds or performance drops, so I continued home (it wasnt far). I checked the ECU and as near as I can tell, its telling me that I have faulty o2sensors. It blinks once, waits three seconds, then blinks again, etc. Chiltons says its the o2 sensors, but we all know how cryptic chiltons can be sometimes.

Am I right in assuming this, or is that blinking normal?

ebpda9
12-16-2002, 02:58 PM
yup it's the primary O2 sensor, actually your only one ;)

http://www.hondata.com/techecucodes.html

if the ecu has no codes when you short the jumpers the CEL should be solid no blinking

blind34_1
12-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Ah HA! IT WAS THE TIMING! I took my car down to my mechanics and the checked the timing again, it was a tooth off. Thats what was causing the poor performance, backfiring, and eventuall o2 reading. All I have to do is take my car out on the highway and run it for a while and the o2 sensor should work fine again.

Its running fantastic now. Of course, as soon as I got into my car after getting the keys from the mechs, who charged me nothing, by the way, it starts pouring. Damn! now I can't peel out and run it like I havent been able to for so long.

The only thing is my CEL is off, but the ECU LED still blinks once every three seconds. I'm going to reset it tomorrow and see what happens.